I’ve always believed that the way to a person’s heart is through their stomach, don’t you think? One of my go-to dishes for winnin’ over friends and family has been my hearty Lentil Stew. This food is the bee’s knees when it comes to comfort, and it’s full of healthy goodness to boot! Let me spill the beans on how I craft this wholesome masterpiece.
Now, y’all know fresh ingredients are key to any lip-smackin’ dish. First thing’s first, I grab some of those beautiful green or brown lentils (mamma says it’s the best!). Next, I round up some gorgeous red tomatoes—I’m talkin’ plump as they come. Then, a dash of dedication and a sprinkle of love, and I’m ready to get started!
I kick things off with slicin’ up some onions and garlic, tossin’ ’em in a hot, oiled-up pot. The aroma’s already got my mouth waterin’, but I ain’t done yet! Once they’re tender and proud, I pour in those earthy lentils and let ’em get cozy with the onions and garlic. Better give ’em a good stir, so they all mingle real nice.
Hold your horses—we’re not done yet! Time to add some carrots and give this stew some long-awaited color, as well as potatoes for an extra punch of comfort. With the lentils and veggies all all snuggled up, I bring the dish to life with some broth, water, and wait for it…drum-roll, please…my secret ingredient, a pinch of ground cumin! My, oh my, the flavors of this concoction are to die for, ain’t no jokin’!
Once everything is bubblin’ like a happy tummy, I let that bad boy simmer and work its magic until the lentils are perfectly tender. Voila! A potful of heaven, all served with a loaf of crusty bread to mop up all that goodness. And would you believe me if I told you this meal was good for you too? Psh, healthy never tasted so amazin’.
Pass the ladle, it’s time for seconds! Talk about a Lentil Stew Adventure!
- 1 1/2 cups green or brown lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish
- Rinse and drain lentils.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic, sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in lentils, making sure they’re coated in oil and mixed well with onions and garlic.
- Add carrots and potatoes to the pot, stirring to combine.
- Pour in vegetable broth and water, bringing the mixture to a boil.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes and ground cumin.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 30-45 minutes (until lentils are tender).
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Let the stew rest for 5-10 minutes to allow flavors to meld together.
- Serve hot, garnished with fresh parsley or cilantro, and accompanied by crusty bread.
That was fresh!