If there’s one thing I know for sure, it’s that there’s nothing quite like a fresh, homemade meal to bring people together. And when it comes to whipping up a dish that’s both healthy and delicious, my go-to recipe is a batch of savory salmon patties. Trust me, folks, these bad boys are the real deal.
To start, I head down to my local fishmonger to grab some fresh salmon fillets. I like to go with the wild-caught variety, as they’re packed with healthy omega-3s and are more sustainably sourced. Once I’ve got my salmon in hand, it’s time to get to work.
I start by poaching the salmon fillets in a fragrant broth of white wine, lemon juice, and herbs. This gives the salmon a lovely, delicate flavor that pairs perfectly with the other ingredients. Once the salmon is cooked through, I let it cool slightly before flaking it with a fork.
Next, it’s time to mix up the rest of the ingredients. I add some finely chopped onion, breadcrumbs, an egg, and a handful of fresh herbs to the flaked salmon. Then, I get in there with my hands and mix everything together until it’s well combined. I like to season the mixture with a pinch of salt and pepper, as well as a dash of hot sauce for a little kick.
Once everything is mixed up, it’s time to shape the patties. I like to make them about the size of a hockey puck, and then let them chill in the fridge for a bit before cooking. This helps them hold their shape and ensures that they won’t fall apart in the pan.
When it’s time to cook the patties, I heat up a bit of olive oil in a skillet and get to frying. I cook each patty for a few minutes on each side, until they’re golden brown and crispy on the outside and cooked through on the inside. And let me tell you, the smell that wafts through the house as they’re cooking is absolutely heavenly.
When the patties are ready, I like to serve them up with a side of roasted vegetables or a fresh salad. They’re the perfect main course for a cozy dinner party or a laid-back family meal. And best of all, they’re healthy, delicious, and sure to impress even the pickiest eaters. So, what are you waiting for? Get yourself some fresh salmon and whip up a batch of these savory salmon patties today!
- 2 cans of salmon
- 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for frying
- Drain the canned salmon and remove any bones or skin. Flake the salmon into a mixing bowl.
- Add the breadcrumbs, chopped onion, chopped celery, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and egg to the bowl with the salmon.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and mix everything together until well combined.
- Form the mixture into 6-8 patties, depending on the size you prefer.
- Heat some olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the patties to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the patties from the skillet and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve the salmon patties hot with your favorite dipping sauce or side dish.
That was fresh!