Y’all, let me tell you about one of my all-time favorite dishes to make for family and friends, especially when the temperatures outside start to drop; my Dumpling Cheesy Casserole. Now, sit back and relax, because I’m going to share a little bit about the magic behind this mouth-watering comfort food.
First off, you’ve gotta love a good casserole. They’re one of the most versatile and crowd-pleasing dishes out there, not to mention they can be a lifesaver during busy weeks when all you need is a hearty one-dish meal. Well, my Dumpling Cheesy Casserole is no exception, except for one thing – it’s simply out of this world!
Now, the secret to this scrumptious treat lies in the dumplings. I make them fresh from scratch with just the right amount of herbs and seasonings, giving them a perfect balance of flavorful goodness. Talk about love at first bite!
As for the cheesy part, well, it’s practically raining cheese in this casserole! I use a blend of different cheeses like mozzarella, cheddar, and Colby jack, to give it that ooey-gooey factor. Trust me when I say, it’s positively drool-worthy.
Once the dumplings and cheese are all set, I create a homemade sauce that ties everything together. It’s light and creamy, but packs a little punch with a sprinkle of smoked paprika and a dash of garlic powder. You know what they say, the devil’s in the details.
Alright, so now we’ve got our dumplings, our cheese, and our sauce. The only thing left to do is assemble this beauty and bake it until it’s bubbly and golden brown. Seriously, you’ll be fighting the urge to sneak a peek and taste it before it’s even done!
Finally, when it’s time to serve up this masterpiece, don’t be surprised if your loved ones start lining up for seconds, maybe even thirds. The flavors of the dumplings, the gooey cheese, and the homemade sauce meld into one incredible explosion of deliciousness – it might just cause a sudden craving for seconds, but who am I to judge Enjoy, folks!
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish and set aside.
Prepare the dumplings
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon dried parsley, and ½ teaspoon dried thyme.
- Slowly add 1 cup milk, mixing until a soft dough is formed.
- Knead dough lightly on a floured surface and shape into bite-sized dumplings.
Prepare the cheese blend
- In a medium bowl, mix together 1 cup shredded mozzarella, 1 cup shredded cheddar, and 1 cup shredded Colby jack cheese.
Prepare the sauce
- In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Stir in 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, and cook for 1-2 minutes until lightly browned.
- Gradually whisk in 4 cups milk, stirring continuously until smooth and thickened.
- Add 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
Assemble the casserole
- Place about half of the dumplings into the prepared baking dish, spreading them evenly.
- Scatter half of the cheese blend over the dumplings.
- Pour about half of the sauce over the cheese, spreading it to cover the dumplings evenly.
- Repeat layers with remaining dumplings, cheese blend, and sauce.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbly, and the dumplings are cooked through and golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and allow the casserole to rest for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
That was fresh!