Well, folks, it’s one of those delightful gatherings again, where I get to spoil my loved ones with my culinary skills! And today, I decided to whip up a lip-smacking snack that makes their taste buds do a happy dance – homemade popcorn chicken. Oh, you heard me right, popcorn chicken from scratch – who needs fast food joints when you’ve got your very own kitchen magician, am I right?
So, let’s get the ball rolling, shall we? First things first, assembling the star cast of ingredients. Tender and juicy bite-sized chicken pieces, check! A medley of spices to tickle their palates – paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, a pinch of salt, and a dash of pepper, check! And of course, the ever-reliable duo of all-purpose flour and breadcrumbs to give that crispy golden crunch.
Getting my hands dirty (but you bet I washed them well, cleanliness is next to deliciousness, eh?), I started seasoning the chicken pieces in a large bowl, ensuring each bite gets its share of that flavorful mix. Once they looked pretty evenly coated, I set those little flavor bombs aside for a hot sec.
Time to make it rain, chicken-style! Using separate containers, I took my chicken pieces on a delightful carousel ride of flour, well-beaten eggs, and breadcrumbs. Now that we’ve got ourselves some well-battered nuggets, let’s get ’em sizzling!
I heated up some vegetable oil in my trusty frying pan, making sure it’s nice and toasty, and carefully lowered those babies down into the deep-fried heaven. Always keeping an eye, I flipped the popcorn chicken until they reached the perfect shade of appetizing golden-brown (it usually takes just a couple of minutes on each side).
And voilà! Crispy, golden popcorn chicken, ready to steal the show at our get-together! Not to toot my own horn, but boy, did my friends wolf down these fresh and healthier-than-the-restaurant bad boys! But hey, who can blame them? With all that finger-licking goodness, it was a poppin’ great time!
- Gather ingredients: 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 cup breadcrumbs, 2 large eggs, 1 tbsp paprika, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp onion powder, salt and pepper, and vegetable oil for frying.
- Dice chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, season chicken with paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well to evenly coat all the pieces, then set aside.
- In a separate shallow container or plate, spread out all-purpose flour.
- In another container, beat the 2 large eggs.
- In a third container, spread out breadcrumbs.
- Dredge each seasoned chicken piece first in the flour, then dip in the egg mixture, and lastly coat with breadcrumbs.
- Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat.
- Once the oil reaches approximately 350°F, carefully add the breaded chicken pieces in small batches, ensuring they don’t overcrowd the pan.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Use a slotted spoon to turn the chicken pieces.
- Remove cooked popcorn chicken from the oil and set them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Serve popcorn chicken while hot, alongside your favorite dipping sauce or as part of a meal. Enjoy!
That was fresh!