Cooking has always been my jam, and there’s nothing that gets my creative juices flowing like whipping up a scrumptious meal for my favorite folks. You know what they say, food is love made visible! Now, I may not be a master chef, but lemme tell you, I’ve learned a few tricks up my sleeve through the years, and one of my all-time favorite dishes to cook for family and friends is none other than egg fried rice. It’s a one-dish wonder that will have their tastebuds singing hallelujah!
First thing’s first – I rustle up my mise en place. That’s my veggie chopping station, for the uninitiated. My go-to veggies for egg fried rice are carrots, peas, and spring onions. But hey, feel free to throw in whatever floats your boat – there’s no fun in sticking to the recipe verbatim, right? Don’t worry about chopping your veggies too fancy, just dice ’em up to bite-sized pieces, and Bob’s your uncle.
Next up, get your rice ready. Now, I’m no stickler for the day-old rice rule, but if you can remember to make some ahead of time, go for it. Otherwise, freshly cooked rice works just fine. Just be sure to fluff it up and let it cool down a bit before the frying begins!
Now we’re cooking with gas! Heat a splash of oil in your trusty wok, and once it’s hotter than a pistol, scramble a couple of eggs. When they’re just about cooked, toss in your veggies and stir them up real good. The pièce de résistance is adding the rice and making sure it’s mixed in with everything else, ensuring each morsel is coated in that eggy goodness.
Time to jazz it up a notch! A drizzle of soy sauce, a pinch of salt and pepper, and a generous sprinkle of sesame seeds, and all that’s left to do is give it one last stir, like you’re conducting a culinary orchestra.
Once you’ve plated up this egg fried rice feast, watch as your loved ones dig in and their faces light up with delight. It’s proof that the simplest dishes can sometimes be the most comforting and satisfying. Served steaming hot with a side of love, what more could you ask for? Dig in!
- Gather ingredients: cooked rice, eggs, diced veggies (carrots, peas, spring onions), soy sauce, salt, pepper, sesame seeds, and oil.
- Prep your workspace by chopping the veggies, dicing them into bite-sized pieces.
- If using day-old rice, fluff it up and set aside. If using freshly cooked rice, allow it to cool down slightly and fluff it up.
- Heat a splash of oil in a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Crack eggs into the wok and scramble them until almost cooked.
- Toss in the diced veggies and stir-fry until tender and cooked through.
- Add the rice to the wok, stirring and combining well with the egg and veggies.
- Drizzle soy sauce over the rice mixture, season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle in sesame seeds and give everything one final stir.
- Remove from heat and serve hot, garnishing with extra spring onions or sesame seeds if desired.
- Enjoy your delicious homemade egg fried rice!
That was fresh!