I’ll tell you what, there’s just something about a homemade chicken potpie that warms my soul and brings my family and friends together. It’s not rocket science, but whipping up this savory, flaky delight from scratch? Well, it’s the bee’s knees!
First of all, let me tell you, I’m head over heels for fresh, healthy ingredients. And boy, oh boy, this chicken potpie recipe is chock-full of ’em! I always prefer to swing by the farmer’s market to pick up those colorful, crisp veggies – carrots, peas, onions, you name it! And don’t even get me started on fresh herbs like thyme and parsley. To top it all off, I choose the freshest, most succulent pieces of chicken I can find. Trust me, folks, it makes all the difference in the world.
Now, let’s talk about that buttery, golden-brown crust that hugs our delightful, chicken and veggie mixture. I like to experiment with different herbs, to be honest – and depending on who I’m cooking for, I even substitute the all-purpose flour with some gluten-free options here and there. Watching my loved ones devour their personalized potpie like there’s no tomorrow – ahh, it’s pure bliss!
Heck, I reckon one of the best parts about this whole chicken potpie shindig is that it’s never the same twice! Tweaking ingredients here and there, seasoning to taste, and playing around with different crust styles (you should see what I can do with a lattice crust) – it’s a rollercoaster ride of culinary delights!
So next time you’re thinkin’ about rallying up the troops for a dinner party, give that good ol’ chicken potpie a whirl! I tell ya, there won’t be a single face at your table without a smile on it.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C)
- Gather ingredients:
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup whole milk (or dairy-free milk)
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, corn)
- 1 pre-made pie crust (or homemade crust)
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat
- Stir in flour, salt, black pepper, onion powder, thyme, and parsley until well combined
- Slowly add chicken broth, stirring constantly to avoid lumps
- Stir in milk, continue cooking and stirring until the sauce thickens
- Add cooked, shredded chicken and mixed vegetables to the sauce, stir to combine
- Remove saucepan from heat and set aside
- Roll out pie crust and place it in a 9-inch pie dish, trimming off any excess dough
- Pour chicken and vegetable mixture into the pie crust, spreading it out evenly
- Roll out a second pie crust and place it over the top, crimping the edges to seal
- Cut a few small slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape
- Bake at 425°F (220°C) for 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving
- Enjoy your homemade chicken potpie!
That was fresh!