Oh, golly gee! I just had the most amazing vegan taco wrap creation party with some of my nearest and dearest foodie friends. And let me tell you, it was all it’s cracked up to be! If you haven’t tried making a delicious and healthy vegan taco wrap at home, what on earth are you waiting for?
So, you may be wondering, what the heck is a vegan taco wrap? Well, it’s essentially a fun and tasty twist on a traditional soft taco, but instead of using a tortilla, we use a large, leafy green – like the ever-so-nutritious collard green or Swiss chard – to bundle up all those scrumptious fillings like a big, warm hug.
Now, let’s dish about what goes into these mouth-watering vegan taco wraps. The sky’s the limit when it comes to fillings, but let’s start with the basics, shall we? Homemade guacamole (who doesn’t love avocados? I’d marry one if I could!), roasted sweet potatoes, spicy black beans, crunchy red bell peppers, protein-packed quinoa, and a colorful mix of fresh veggies.
Once you have your wholesome ingredients prepped and ready, it’s time to get your hands dirty and assemble these babies. But wait! There’s a trick to this madness. First, let’s soften those leafy greens by giving them a little massage. Yup, you read that right! Take off the thick stem and give the leaf a little rub-a-dub-dub to make it more pliable and easier to bite into.
Alrighty then, time to load up your leaf with the goodies! I recommend scooping a dollop of guacamole right in the center, and then layering your other yummy toppings in any order you see fit. Ready for the big wrap-up? Simply fold one end of the leaf over, tuck in either side, and roll it up like a burrito. Just like a boss!
Lastly, dig in and enjoy the fruits of your labor. You’ll be drooling all over yourself with just one bite! Oh, and listen, make sure you share these addictive vegan taco wraps with your fam and friends – they’ll be begging for seconds.
Gather your ingredients:
- Large leafy greens (collard greens or Swiss chard)
- Homemade guacamole
- Roasted sweet potatoes
- Spicy black beans
- Crunchy red bell peppers
- Cooked quinoa
- Assorted fresh veggies (tomatoes, corn, lettuce, etc.)
- Optional toppings (salsa, vegan sour cream, fresh cilantro)
Prepare your fillings:
- Prepare homemade guacamole by mashing ripe avocados and mixing with lime juice, chopped onions, minced garlic, diced tomatoes, salt, and pepper
- Roast sweet potatoes in the oven at 400°F (200°C) for about 30 minutes, until tender and lightly browned
- Season black beans with cumin, chili powder, and a pinch of salt
- Chop red bell peppers and any other preferred veggies into bite-sized pieces
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions and season with salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil
Soften your leafy greens:
- Wash your leafy greens and remove the thick stems
- Gently massage each leaf with your hands until softened and more pliable
Assemble the vegan taco wraps:
- Lay out a leafy green on a flat surface
- Scoop a dollop of guacamole in the center of the leaf
- Layer the roasted sweet potatoes, spicy black beans, crunchy red bell peppers, cooked quinoa, and assorted fresh veggies on top of the guacamole
- Add any additional desired toppings (salsa, vegan sour cream, fresh cilantro)
Wrap it up:
- Fold one end of the leaf over the fillings
- Tuck in both sides of the leaf, and then roll it up like a burrito
- Repeat with the remaining leaves and fillings
Serve and enjoy:
- Enjoy your delicious and nutritious vegan taco wraps with friends and family
- Pair with a fresh green salad or tortilla chips and salsa for a complete meal
That was fresh!