Cooking, darlings – it’s my greatest joy! Even though you might not always hit the bullseye, you must shoot your shot. And let me tell you, according to my family and friends, my Jerk Chicken Tacos are the bomb – a true kitchen slam dunk!
Why the fuss about Jerk Chicken Tacos, you ask? Well, friends, they’re the ideal combo of juicy, spicy, smoky, um, and you know I love anything with a bit of kick. Now, making the jerk marinade is no cup of tea. It’s a heady mix needing the right balance of scotch bonnet peppers – careful there, hot stuff – and a selection of herbs and spices, the likes of which might just transport you to the Caribbean. Romancing those chicken breasts with that luscious marinade overnight, oh boy, it’s a labor of love!
But hold your horses. These ain’t your average tacos. We’re going off the beaten path, away from the tried and true classic toppings. A freshly whipped batch of zingy pineapple salsa and crisp, cool cilantro coleslaw is all the fixin’s you’ll need.
Oh, the smell! As the chicken hits that hot pan — you wouldn’t believe it! Pardon my French, but it’s bloody marvelous, that smell of succulent chicken caramelizing in its fiery jerk coating. Chop that up, heap it onto your tacos, top it off with the salsa and slaw, et voila!
Now, don’t be chicken – dive right in! A fiesta in your mouth, these Jerk Chicken Tacos will tickle your taste buds and leave you feeling on top of the world. As the old saying goes, ‘variety is the spice of life,’ and I promise, darling, these tacos sure are one spicy variety.
- Gather all your ingredients.
- For the jerk marinade, you would require scotch bonnet peppers, thyme, allspice berries, scallions, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and some brown sugar.
- Combine all the above ingredients in a blender. Blend until you get a smooth paste.
- Take some chicken breast strips. Rinse and pat dry.
- Slather the jerk marinade generously on the chicken. Make sure every nook and cranny is covered.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight allowing the chicken to marinate well.
- For the pineapple salsa, mix together diced pineapples, jalapenos, red bell peppers, onions, and cilantro. Season with lime juice, salt, and pepper. Keep aside.
- For the cilantro coleslaw, toss shredded cabbage, grated carrot, and chopped cilantro with some mayo, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Keep chilled.
- Preheat your pan and add a dollop of cooking oil.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces. Cook on each side until there’s a good char on them.
- For assembly, warm up some soft taco shells.
- Lay a bed of the cilantro coleslaw at the bottom.
- Add a generous portion of the jerk chicken on top.
- Drizzle over the tangy pineapple salsa.
- Serve immediately and enjoy your homemade jerk chicken tacos!
That was fresh!