What can I say? I’m simply head over heels for cabbage rolls! The first time I tasted some at a family gathering, it was like love at first bite. Since then, there’s been no turning back. Curled up inside that tender cabbage leaf lies a treasure trove of flavors that I find absolutely irresistible. Be it a weekend treat or an enjoyable evening with friends, my go-to dish is the lip-smackingly delicious cabbage roll.
So, let me let you in on how I prepare this scrumptious little bundle of heaven. First off, it all begins with the cabbage, of course! I set a large pot of water to boil, and in the meantime, remove that thick outer layer of leaves. They’re a bit tough, you see. Then, I gently lower the whole cabbage head into the boiling water for a few minutes to soften it up, kind of like a warm hug to loosen up those inner leaves!
Okay, so next up is the filling. You can’t have a party without the star of the show, right? I usually go with a mix of lean ground beef, cooked rice, and whatever seasonings tickle my fancy that day. Believe me when I say, the sky’s the limit for flavor combos! And for my vegetarian friends, I swap in some hearty lentils or quinoa.
Once I’ve got my lovely cabbage leaves and my tantalizing filling, it’s time for some action! I scoop a spoonful of filling onto each leaf, roll ’em up, and gently place them seam-side down in a casserole dish. Then comes the pièce de résistance – the sauce! I whip up a quick mix of tomato sauce, a pinch of sugar, and a good splash of vinegar. Drizzling that heavenly goodness over the rolls, it’s time for them to cozy up in the oven.
After patiently counting the minutes (which feels like an eternity), I finally get to savor my beloved cabbage rolls. The aroma filling the house is simply divine, and everyone’s taste buds are in for a treat. So, the next time you’re in the mood to wow your loved ones with a delicious and healthy meal, remember my love affair with cabbage rolls and give them a whirl – you won’t regret it!
Gather your ingredients:
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey (or a vegetarian substitute like lentils)
- 1 cup cooked rice (or substitute with quinoa for a healthier option)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
Prepare the cabbage:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil
- Remove the thick outer leaves from the cabbage head
- Lower the cabbage into the boiling water
- Cook for a few minutes until leaves are softened
- Remove from water, drain, and allow to cool
Prepare the filling:
- In a mixing bowl, combine ground meat (or vegetarian substitute), cooked rice, chopped onion, beaten egg, salt, and pepper
- Mix well
Assemble the cabbage rolls:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Carefully separate the softened cabbage leaves
- Scoop a spoonful of filling onto each leaf
- Fold in the sides of the leaf and roll up, ensuring the filling is completely enclosed
- Place rolls seam-side down in a casserole dish
Prepare the sauce:
- In a separate bowl, mix together the tomato sauce, sugar, and vinegar
- Pour the sauce evenly over the cabbage rolls
Bake the cabbage rolls:
- Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil or a lid
- Bake for 45 minutes
- Remove the cover and continue baking for another 10-15 minutes
Serve hot and enjoy!
That was fresh!