Ah, I can’t believe it’s that time of year again, when the leaves change color, the temperature drops, and there’s a little nip in the air. Yep, soup season has officially arrived, folks! And let me tell ya, there’s nothing I love more than whipping up a steaming pot of piping hot and oh-so-delicious Chicken Tortilla Soup to warm the hearts – and tummies – of my loved ones!
Now, you might be thinking, Chicken Tortilla Soup, huh? Easy peasy! But hold on a sec! I’ve got a little twist up my sleeve that’ll make this soup taste like a fiesta in your mouth. You know, the kind of zing that’ll have your taste buds dancing the cha-cha!
First, the key to any great soup is a kick-ass stock. I mean, come on, we’ve all heard the saying, No stock, no glory, right? What I love about this stock is using fresh ingredients like juicy tomatoes, onions, garlic, jalapeños, and some chipotle in adobo to really deepen the flavor. Just toss ‘em all in, give it all a good whirl, and let it simmer to reach that sweet spot of heavenly aroma.
And oh, the chicken. Did I mention the chicken? I’m talkin’ tender, juicy morsels that make your mouth water with every delicious bite. I love using chicken thighs, but hey, feel free to use whatever your heart desires. Cook those bad boys up until they’re fall-apart tender, then shred ’em to perfection!
Now comes the pièce de résistance: my secret weapon that’ll send this soup over the top! Are you ready for it? Ladies and gents, drum roll, please… it’s… lime juice! Trust me, a few good squeezes of fresh lime juice at the end just makes all those flavors pop like fireworks on the Fourth of July.
Garnish that beauty with crispy tortilla strips, avocado slices, cilantro, and a dollop of sour cream, and boy oh boy, you’ve got yourself a meal fit for a king or queen – or, you know, a hungry bunch of family and friends.
So, next time you’ve got a case of the chills, or you’re just craving for some serious comfort food, you know what to do. Whip up a batch of this drool-worthy Chicken Tortilla Soup, and let the fiesta begin!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, chopped (remove seeds for less heat)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 or 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cooked and shredded
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Tortilla strips, for garnish
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, and jalapeño, then cook until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cumin and chili powder, cooking for an additional minute.
- Add fire-roasted diced tomatoes, chicken stock, and chipotle peppers. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 20-30 minutes until the flavors meld.
- Add shredded chicken, chopped cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine and let heat for another 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference.
- Serve the soup in bowls, garnishing with tortilla strips, avocado, sour cream, and cilantro as desired.
- Enjoy your delicious Chicken Tortilla Soup!
That was fresh!