Ah, cucumbers – the unsung heroes of the vegetable world. Light, refreshing, and hydrating – they also pack a real crunch! I’ve always been a sucker for a good cucumber salad, and let me tell you, I’ve found a recipe that tantalizes the taste buds like no other – Asian Spicy Cucumber Salad.
Now, we all know cucumbers can be a bit plain Jane, so I love jazzing them up with a little heat and zing. This Asian Spicy Cucumber Salad recipe combines those cool, crisp cucumbers with the bright kick of red pepper flakes, lime juice, and a dash of sweet and salty flavors. Trust me, it’s good vibes all around!
Alright, so let’s dive into the nitty-gritty of making this lip-smacking side dish. First, I like to start by thinly slicing the cucumber – a mandoline is your best friend here! You want those delicate, paper-thin slices that will soak up every last drop of the dressing.
Speaking of that dressing, it’s a veritable melting pot of flavors! In a small bowl, mix together a bit of sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil until that sugar dissolves. I generally throw in a handful of minced garlic and ginger, too – don’t be shy with these bad boys! Finally, toss in your red pepper flakes and freshly-squeezed lime juice, and voila! You’ve got a dressing that will make even the most cuke-skeptical folks change their tune.
Here’s the icing on the cake: sprinkle in some chopped cilantro and green onions for a pop of color and additional freshness. Once you’ve given your cucumber slices a thorough dunk in their spicy, tangy bath, let everything chill out in the fridge for a bit. Giving these flavors some time to get acquainted makes a world of difference.
This Asian Spicy Cucumber Salad is the perfect addition to those backyard cookouts or a simple, refreshing snack on a hot summer day. Seriously, once you’ve tried this spin on cucumbers, there’s no turning back. Give it a whirl, and let your taste buds thank me later!
Gather the following ingredients:
- 2 English cucumbers
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Wash and trim the ends of the cucumbers.
- Using a mandoline or a sharp knife, thinly slice the cucumbers.
- In a small bowl, combine rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sugar.
- Stir until sugar dissolves completely.
- To the dressing, add minced garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes.
- Squeeze in the lime juice and mix well.
- Add the cucumber slices to a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the dressing mixture over the cucumber slices.
- Toss gently, ensuring cucumbers are well coated with the dressing.
- Cover the bowl and let it refrigerate for about an hour. (This allows the flavors to meld together and the cucumbers to absorb the dressing.)
- Just before serving, add the chopped cilantro and sliced green onions.
- Toss once more, making sure herbs are evenly distributed.
- Transfer the salad to a serving plate or bowl.
- Enjoy as a refreshing side dish or appetizer!
That was fresh!