Ah, egg rolls – those crispy, crunchy, savory goodness bombs that everyone adores! I must say, I do take immense pleasure in putting on my apron and whipping up batches of these bad boys for family and friends.
First off, the key to top-notch egg rolls lies in the filling. It’s got to be chock-full of fresh, colorful veggies and some protein too. I usually roll with cabbage – that’s a no-brainer – and then throw in some grated carrots, bean sprouts, and green onions for an unbeatable veggie medley. As for the protein, you can’t go wrong with ground pork or chicken, but I’ve also tried my hand at shrimp, tofu, and even a vegan version simply bursting with JUST Egg! The sky’s the limit here, folks.
Now, seasoning that filling is where things get really interesting! I’m sure we all have a few tricks up our sleeves, but I must admit, I’m a sucker for hoisin sauce and soy sauce – they’re quite the dynamic duo. Add a clove or two of minced garlic, a knob of grated ginger, and a dash of toasted sesame oil, and you’ve got yourself one heck of a tasty concoction.
But what about the rolling part, you ask? Well, let me tell you, practice makes perfect. After filling your egg roll wrappers, just a dab of water to seal the edges will do the trick. Check if you’ve achieved the perfect roll by making sure not a single speck of filling is trying to sneak out. That’s your cue to gently lay ’em in hot oil and watch your eggy babies turn into crispy, golden brown canoes of deliciousness!
Fry up a batch of these bad boys and I guarantee, you’ll be ooh-ing and ahh-ing over that satisfying crunch and lip-smacking filling with every bite. And really, isn’t that the whole point of a perfect egg roll? So, happy rolling, my gastronomic geniuses!
- 1 lb ground pork or chicken (or protein of choice)
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- approximately 20 egg roll wrappers
- small bowl of water for sealing wrappers
- oil for frying (canola or vegetable)
- In a skillet, cook ground pork or chicken (or protein of choice) until cooked through and remove from heat.
- Stir in cabbage, carrots, bean sprouts, and green onions, combining well with the cooked protein.
- Add the garlic, ginger, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and toasted sesame oil, mixing well to season the filling.
- Place an egg roll wrapper on a clean surface, positioning it so one corner is facing you.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the filling into the center of the wrapper.
- Fold the bottom corner of the wrapper up over the filling, folding the sides of the wrapper inward towards the center.
- Roll the egg roll up tightly from the bottom, making sure the filling is secure within the wrapper.
- Dab the top corner of the wrapper with water and press to seal the egg roll completely.
- Repeat filling and sealing process with remaining wrappers and filling.
- Heat oil (about 2 inches deep) in a deep skillet or frying pan to 350°F.
- Carefully place egg rolls into the hot oil, frying only a few at a time to avoid overcrowding.
- Fry each egg roll until crispy and golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Use a slotted spoon or tongs to remove egg rolls from the oil, transferring them to a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- Serve egg rolls with dipping sauces of your choice and enjoy your crispy, tasty creations!
That was fresh!