Oh boy, I have to tell you that nothing makes me happier than whipping up some delicious and healthy meals for my loved ones. There’s just that inexplicable sense of joy and satisfaction that comes from witnessing people relishing your culinary creations. And, today I’ve got a hankering to prepare some mouthwatering cabbage rolls that’ll have everyone at the table asking for seconds!
So, let me spill the tea on how to get rollin’ with these delectable little parcels of goodness. First things first, the hunt for the perfect cabbage commences. I like to head straight to the farmer’s market to snatch up the freshest green or savoy cabbage you can lay your hands on. Trust me, quality ingredients make a world of difference!
Once back in my cozy kitchen, I do a little happy dance while getting down to business. I carefully separate and blanch the leaves, ensuring not to overdo it – talk about walking on eggshells! A pro tip I’ve picked up is to let those precious leaves bathe in an ice bath for a moment or two before transferring them to a colander to drain. This helps maintain their vibrant hue and firm yet tender texture.
Meanwhile, I get to work on the showstopper: the stuffing! There’s no shortage of options here; it’s all about personal taste. I often find myself opting for a scrumptious mix of lean ground turkey, brown rice, chopped veggies, and a generous dash of herbs and spices for that extra kick (because life’s too short for bland food, am I right?). Oh, and let’s not forget to throw in a smidgen of salt and pepper!
With everything in place, it’s time to get the ball rolling – literally! I wrap spoonfuls of the heavenly stuffing in the blanched cabbage leaves like a seasoned pro. You might say it’s a labor of love, but honestly, the outcome is well worth it.
Finally, it’s time to envelop these gems in a homemade tomato sauce (I live for that sweet and tangy goodness) and let them simmer away to perfection. The anticipation is almost too much to bear! Then when it’s all said and done, my delightful cabbage rolls steal the spotlight, and my lovely dinner guests can’t resist the urge to dig in. Bon appétit!
- Prepare ingredients:
- 1 large head of green or savoy cabbage
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped veggies (e.g., carrots, celery, bell peppers)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Carefully remove outer leaves from cabbage, blanch in boiling water for 1-2 minutes, then transfer to an ice bath to cool
- Drain cabbage leaves in a colander and set aside
- Preheat a large skillet and coat with olive oil
- Sauté onions and veggies until softened
- Add ground turkey and cook through, making sure to break up the meat
- Stir in cooked brown rice, thyme, paprika, salt, and pepper
- Prepare tomato sauce by combining crushed tomatoes, vegetable or chicken broth, and minced garlic
- Lay out a blanched cabbage leaf and place a spoonful of the stuffing mixture in the center
- Fold in the sides and roll up the cabbage leaf tightly, securing the stuffing inside
- Place each cabbage roll seam-side down in a large pot or slow cooker
- Pour prepared tomato sauce over the cabbage rolls, ensuring they are submerged
- Cover pot or slow cooker, and let the cabbage rolls simmer on low heat for 1-2 hours, or until tender
- Serve warm with a generous spoonful of tomato sauce over each roll
That was fresh!