Well, hot dang! Who could ever resist my ma’s warm, undeniably scrumptious spicy mac ‘n cheese? Not me, that’s for sure. A real crowd-pleaser, this dish left folks screaming for more. So, you bet your boots I was keen as mustard to get cracking on recreating this delight myself.
To start, I give that pasta a royal boiling – al dente, of course. Nothing worse than mushy macaroni spoiling a magnificent mac ‘n cheese. Meanwhile, over yonder, my trusty pot, all full of life, stands simmering a tangy tomato sauce. The room fills up with that familiar aroma, one part nostalgia, and two parts anticipation.
Jalapenos! Now, that’s what it’s all about. Those little devils, pan-roasted until golden and fragrant, give mamma’s spicy mac ‘n cheese its notorious twist. They say you’ve got to fight fire with fire. But in this case, I fight it with a generous handful of mellow cheddar and a dose of creamy Monterey Jack. The molten cheese meets the sassy jalapenos, creating an eat-it-to-believe-it upheaval of flavor.
Ah, before I forget, the cherry on the cake – crunchy breadcrumb topping. Tossed in butter till toasty, it gives a lip-smacking contrast to the creamy, spiced treasure beneath. The final sensation? That heavenly crunch, followed by a gooey surprise with a slap of spice.
I must say, even after whipping this up countless times, the joy in the eyes of my loved ones, on that first mouthful – priceless! They don’t call it comfort food for nothing, ya know. And boy oh boy, my mamma’s fiery mac ‘n cheese is not only comforting but a delectable rollercoaster of flavors that has your taste buds doing flips.
Well, ain’t that a kick in the head? Now, who’s hungry?
- First things first, gather all your ingredients: 8 ounces of macaroni, 2 cups of shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese, 3 cups of milk, 1/4 cup of butter, 2 1/2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons of butter, 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of chopped jalapenos.
- Start by cooking your macaroni until it’s al dente. Make sure to salt your water!
- While your macaroni is cooking, melt 1/4 cup of butter over medium heat before stirring in your all-purpose flour. Once this is mixed into a roux, pour in your milk. Keep whisking this mixture until it’s smooth and starts to thicken.
- Once thickened, add in your chopped jalapenos for that spicy kick.
- Lower your heat and mix in your sharp cheddar and Parmesan until it’s all melted and you have a creamy, spicy cheese sauce.
- By this time, your macaroni should be cooked. Drain it and add it straight into your cheese sauce. Mix until every macaroni is coated with your cheesy goodness.
- Pour your mixture into a baking dish, spreading it out evenly.
- In a small skillet, melt down your 2 tablespoons of butter and mix it with your breadcrumbs. Make sure every breadcrumb is coated before sprinkling it on top of your mac ’n cheese.
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden and crispy.
- Let it cool for a few minutes, then serve up your spicy masterpiece. Enjoy, friends and family will sure love your spicy twist on a classic!
That was fresh!