I’m telling you, friends, there’s nothing quite as refreshing as a cool cucumber on a hot summer day, am I right? And, of course, sushi rolls are always a crowd pleaser, so I decided to merge these two loves into one scrumptious dish – the Cucumber Sushi Roll!
Now, don’t be intimidated by those fancy sushi chefs you see at restaurants, twirling their knives and rolling up deliciousness with the flick of a wrist. I promise, making sushi isn’t as hard as it seems, especially with a bit of practice under our belts. So, buckle up, grab your ingredients, and let’s get rolling!
First things first, you gotta nail down your sushi rice. Don’t skimp on that step, as it really makes all the difference. Whatever you do, don’t just use your everyday, run-of-the-mill, straight-out-of-the-pantry rice. It won’t stick together, and you’ll end up with a mess on your hands (literally and figuratively). Instead, invest in some good-quality sushi rice, and make sure to season it with rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Trust me, it’s a game changer.
While your rice is cooking, prep your cucumber by cutting it into thin, long strips. I like to take the skin off, but hey, that’s just me. You do you, boo! Once your rice has cooled, you’ve got your cucumber strips at the ready, and you’ve picked out your choice of other fillings – think avocado, crab, shrimp, or whatever floats your boat – it’s time to roll up your sleeves and get down to business.
Lay out your bamboo sushi mat (oh, did I forget to mention you’ll need one of those? Yup, it’s pretty crucial.), place a sheet of nori on top, and spread a thin layer of sushi rice, leaving a small margin at the edge to seal our beautiful creation. Then, it’s veggies, proteins, and cucumber, oh my! Just layer ’em up in the center.
Here’s where the fun begins! With steady hands and determination that would make our forefathers proud, use the bamboo mat to tightly roll up your sushi. Once complete, break out your sharpest knife, and slice that baby into bite-sized pieces.
Voilà! You’ve now entered the realm of sushi-making masters. Impress your friends, feed your fam, and don’t forget to take a pic for the ‘gram. Enjoy your Cucumber Sushi Roll, you culinary wizard, you!
- Gather ingredients: sushi rice, rice vinegar, sugar, salt, cucumber, nori sheets, bamboo sushi mat, your choice of other fillings (avocado, crab, shrimp, etc.)
- Rinse sushi rice under cold water until the water runs clear
- Cook sushi rice according to package instructions
- While rice cooks, combine rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan and heat until sugar and salt dissolve; set aside to cool
- Prepare cucumber by peeling (optional) and cutting into thin, long strips; prepare any additional fillings as needed
- Once rice has finished cooking, transfer to a large bowl and let it cool slightly
- Gently fold in vinegar mixture with a wooden spoon or paddle until evenly incorporated; allow rice to cool to room temperature
- Lay out bamboo sushi mat and place a sheet of nori on top
- With wet hands, spread a thin layer of sushi rice evenly over the nori sheet, leaving a small margin at the edge to seal
- Place cucumber strips and any other fillings in a line along the center of the rice-covered nori sheet
- Using the bamboo mat as a guide, firmly roll up the sushi, applying even pressure and making sure to keep the fillings in place
- Once the sushi roll is fully formed, pull back the bamboo mat and use a sharp, wet knife to slice the roll into bite-sized pieces
- Serve with soy sauce and any desired condiments, such as pickled ginger, wasabi, or spicy mayo, and enjoy!
That was fresh!