Mercy me, isn’t it just scrumptious, the mouthwatering aroma of Mexican shredded beef teasing your olfactory senses? It sure drives the taste buds wild, doesn’t it? Cooking, let me tell ya, is a beautiful art- and this Mexican gem, it’s my pièce de résistance.
Alrighty then, it all starts with the cut of the meat. I’ve got here a beautiful grass-fed beef chuck roast. Now, as tempting as it may be, don’t you be rushing this part! Take your good, sweet time adorning it with flavors. My powerhouse combo is a blend of cumin, chili powder, paprika, and a smidge of salt. Rub that mixtures on nice and even, your hands artfully dancing on the canvas of beef. And, remember, patience is the secret ingredient!
Alright, let’s kick it up a notch, shall we? A good sear is what’s next on the docket, and for this, both sides of the beef need to sizzle until they sport a rich brown hue. That caramelization, my friends, really locks in those bold, robust flavors we’re after!
Okie-dokie, time to hit the steamy sauna of our slow-cooker. Let it simmer in the medley of onions, garlic, and jalapenos with our crusty beef magnificently nestled in. After a long, slow cooking dance, that beef’s gonna be as tender as a mother’s love. Voila! That’s it folks, a Mexican shredded beef that’s so good, it’s criminal!
So, next time you fancy a Mexican fiesta on your plate, give this a whirl. I reckon you’ll feel as over the moon as I am for this spectacular dish!
- Start by sourcing a high-quality, 3-pound beef chuck roast.
- Prepare a spice rub with 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1 teaspoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon of paprika, and a dash of salt.
- Rub the spice mixture evenly over the beef chuck roast.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet.
- Add the beef to the skillet, searing each side until it is nicely browned.
- While the beef is browning, chop 1 large onion, mince 4 cloves of garlic, and thinly slice 1-2 jalapenos.
- Once the beef is seared, place it into the slow cooker.
- Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and sliced jalapenos on top of and around the beef in the slow cooker.
- Pour 1 cup of beef broth into the slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker and set it to low.
- Let the beef cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- After the cooking time is done, use two forks to shred the beef in the slow cooker.
- Stir well to mix the shredded beef with the vegetables and juices in the slow cooker.
- Serve the Mexican shredded beef with warm tortillas, rice, beans or any other favorite sides for a hearty Mexican meal.
That was fresh!