Boy, oh boy! Is there anything better than the heavenly aroma of my beloved fried chicken sizzling in a hot pan? I’m telling you, it’s as if the kitchen gods have decided to gift us humans with their finest skills! To me, whipping up a finger-lickin’ batch of fried chicken is the perfect way to bring family and friends together for a fun and satisfying meal.
Now, I know what you’re thinking – But isn’t fried chicken a far cry from fresh and healthy? Well, folks, let me tell you a little secret. It’s all about getting creative with the ingredients and finding that perfect balance between the crispy outer layer and succulent, tender meat within.
First things first, I always make sure to marinate the chicken overnight in a mix of Greek yogurt and various spices. Trust me on this one; it not only keeps the chicken moist but also adds that extra tangy depth of flavor we all crave.
When it comes to frying, I usually opt for a healthier oil like avocado or coconut. Sure, they might be a bit more expensive, but ain’t no price too steep for my loved ones’ health, am I right?
Now, here comes the pièce de résistance – my secret weapon that sets my fried chicken apart from the rest: a mix of crushed cornflakes and panko breadcrumbs for the perfect crispy, crunchy outside. I mean, who said we can’t have a little fun while keeping things relatively healthy?
As the chicken fries to golden perfection, anticipation buzzes through the air. You can feel the excitement, and I can’t help but sneak a little peek at the faces of my eager guests. Their eyes widen, mouths watering, as my glorious fried chicken reaches the table – it’s a sight to behold!
You see, there’s just something about bringing people together over a plate of good ol’ homemade fried chicken that warms my heart, and truth be told, you’d be hard-pressed to find a better way to show love and appreciation for your family and friends.
So next time you’re contemplating what to cook for your nearest and dearest, remember – a little creativity and a lot of love can turn a classic comfort food into a mouth-watering, healthier treat that’ll have everyone coming back for seconds!
- Gather your ingredients: chicken pieces, Greek yogurt, spices (paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper), healthy oil (avocado or coconut), crushed cornflakes, and panko breadcrumbs.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine Greek yogurt and spices to create a marinade.
- Coat chicken pieces thoroughly with the marinade, ensuring that each piece is fully covered.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight for the best results.
- When ready to cook, take the chicken out and let it rest at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is resting, prepare a shallow dish by mixing crushed cornflakes and panko breadcrumbs.
- Heat about 1 inch of avocado or coconut oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat.
- While the oil is heating up, remove chicken pieces from the marinade and gently roll them in the cornflake-panko mixture until each piece is evenly coated.
- Once the oil is hot (around 350°F/180°C), carefully place the coated chicken pieces into the skillet, making sure not to overcrowd them.
- Fry the chicken pieces for about 8-10 minutes on each side, adjusting the heat as necessary to ensure even browning.
- Use tongs or a slotted spoon to turn the chicken pieces for even frying.
- Test the internal temperature of the chicken to make sure it’s cooked through – it should reach 165°F/74°C.
- Remove cooked chicken pieces from the skillet and place them on a wire rack placed over a baking sheet to drain excess oil.
- Allow the pieces to rest for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve your fried chicken hot, with your favorite dipping sauces and side dishes, and enjoy!
That was fresh!