I’ve got to tell you, there’s just something about the combination of bright, tangy lemons and sweet, succulent blueberries that gets my taste buds dancing with sheer delight. Throw in the fact that I’m an unapologetically avid baker, and well, it’s no surprise that I couldn’t wait to whip up a batch of smashing Lemon Blueberry Cookies for my nearest and dearest.
First off, it’s all about quality ingredients. The fresher the ingredients, the tastier the results. Believe me, once you’ve had a nibble of these nibbles, you’ll be as pleased as punch. So, off I went to my local farmer’s market, with my reusable tote bags in tow, to find the snazziest lemons and plumpest blueberries around. Oh, and since these beauties are best in season, summertime’s the right time to get bakin’.
Now, I’m not one to keep a good recipe under wraps, so I’m just gonna spill the beans here. When making these bite-sized wonders, it’s crucial to use non-reactive cookware (think stainless steel, glass, or ceramic) when prepping the lemon-infused glaze to prevent a funky metallic taste. Trust me; it’s worth it not to skimp on that step.
Right, so with my lemons zested and blueberries washed, it suddenly felt like my kitchen had been transformed into a riot of smells and colors. I couldn’t help letting out a gleeful Woo-hoo! The excitement was palpable – or maybe that was just the tangy scent of lemon zest tickling my nose. Who knows?
As I spooned the dough onto the lined baking sheet, I took a moment to breathe in the heavenly citrus aroma wafting through the air, feeling like a baker extraordinaire. And you know what? With these bushels of flavor coming together in perfect harmony, it’s easy to feel that way.
So now, with a little patience and a steaming mug of herbal tea for company, I await the sweet moment when those delectable Lemon Blueberry Cookies emerge, golden and resplendent, from the oven. And as sure as the sun sets, my family and friends are in for a lip-smackingly good treat they won’t soon forget!
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- To the butter-sugar mixture, add:
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Carefully fold in:
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cookies are lightly golden on the edges and set in the center.
- Remove cookies from oven, allowing them to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While cookies cool, prepare the lemon glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Mix together in a small non-reactive bowl (stainless steel, glass, or ceramic) until smooth and lump-free.
- Once cookies are fully cooled, drizzle the lemon glaze over the top, allowing it to set for a couple of minutes.
- Serve and enjoy your Lemon Blueberry Cookies! Store leftover cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
That was fresh!