Oh my goodness, I can’t believe how chilly it’s getting outside! Is it just me, or has winter come earlier this year? Anyhow, with the colder weather settling in, I always find myself craving for something warm and comforting to enjoy. And that, my dear friends, is where my scrumptious Cream of Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe comes in!
Now let me tell ya, this soup has it all – it’s filled with fresh flavors, warm gooeyness from the cheddar, and most importantly, a hug in a bowl for your soul! I absolutely love making this for my family and friends, especially during get-togethers. And the best part is – it’s a healthier alternative that doesn’t skimp on the taste!
So let’s get cracking on this soup-erb dish! First thing you want to do is gather all your fresh ingredients. For me, that’s broccoli, onions, garlic, and a bite of celery. Chop them up nicely and toss ’em into your pot – we’re going to sweat them out so they get all nice and tender. It’s amazing how much flavor can come from just a few simple ingredients, and this step truly brings that out.
Now, let’s talk dairy. For this Cream of Broccoli Cheddar Soup, I like to keep things a little lighter with some low-fat milk and chicken stock. Don’t worry, though; we’re definitely kicking things up a notch later on with some sharp cheddar cheese! When it comes to cheese, the sharper, the better; I swear it adds a delicious punch to the dish that makes you go Mmm!
Once you’ve simmered and blended that soup of yours to a velvety perfection, it’s time to go all in with that cheddar. Gently fold it into your soup, and just watch it become a gooey, cheesy paradise. At this point, I can hardly wait to dive in!
So there you have it – a Cream of Broccoli Cheddar Soup that’s not only warm and comforting but also healthy and full of fresh flavors. Next time you’re craving a bit of a pick-me-up, give it a whirl; I guarantee it’ll have you feeling all warm and fuzzy inside! Bon appétit!
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Prepare the vegetables:
- Wash and chop broccoli into small florets
- Dice onion and celery
- Mince garlic cloves
Cook the vegetables:
- In a large pot, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat
- Add onion, garlic, and celery, cooking until softened (about 5 minutes)
- Add broccoli and cook for an additional 5 minutes
- Pour chicken or vegetable stock into the pot
- Increase heat and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until broccoli is tender (about 15-20 minutes)
Prepare cheese sauce:
- In a separate saucepan, melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat
- Whisk in flour, cooking for 1-2 minutes to form a roux
- Slowly whisk in milk, continuing to cook until sauce thickens
- Stir in shredded cheddar cheese until melted and smooth
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
Combine soup and cheese sauce:
- Once broccoli is tender, use an immersion blender or regular blender (in batches) to blend soup until desired consistency is reached
- Add cheese sauce to the blended soup, stirring well to combine
Adjust seasoning, if necessary, and serve hot with some crusty bread or croutons. Enjoy your delicious Cream of Broccoli Cheddar Soup!
That was fresh!