Oh, what a joy it is when I get the chance to whip up my all-time favorite breakfast dish, fluffy pancakes, from scratch! Honestly, I’ve yet to meet a person who can resist them, and I find immense pleasure in watching family and friends tuck into a colossal stack while they reach to the heavens. There’s nothing quite like cooking up the perfect batch – truly a labor of love.
First off, I always raid my pantry for the finest ingredients. They say variety is the spice of life, but when it comes to my fluffy pancakes, I stick to my tried-and-true staples. You won’t catch me without my trusty all-purpose flour, a pinch of salt, and a jolt of sugar to banish any hints of blandness. Don’t forget those vital leavening agents either: baking powder and soda will be our best friends in our quest for fluffiness.
Next, it’s time to beat those eggs! I break them up real good, whisk them together with creamy milk (full-fat, please and thank you!), and then – the pièce de résistance – a splash of vanilla extract. It adds that warm, comforting sweetness that makes these pancakes so darn irresistible.
Once I have my dry and wet mixtures, I cautiously combine the two, being careful not to over-mix. You want just the right consistency, which is thick enough to hold its form, but still flows like silk off the spoon. Word to the wise: any more mixing and we’re in tough, rubbery pancake territory.
It’s Game Time!! I heat my well-seasoned griddle, brush it with melted butter, and gently ladle my batter into perfect pancake circles. As those lovely bubbles start to form, it’s time to give ’em a flip! Ahhh, the whiff of those golden-brown beauties wafting through the air – utterly sublime.
Finally, I stack these puffy clouds high and proud, drizzle them generously with syrup, and adorn them with bright, plump berries or a sprinkling of chopped nuts. Voilà! I’ve outdone myself again.
Fluffy pancakes, my friends, are my language of love, and cooking them up is a true addiction of mine. Gosh, I hope you enjoy them just as much as I do. So, dig in!
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ¼ cups milk (full-fat preferred)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg and mix with milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour in the wet mixture.
- Gently mix the ingredients, being careful not to over-mix. The batter should be thick, yet flow smoothly off the spoon.
- Preheat a griddle or frying pan on medium heat.
- Lightly brush the griddle with melted butter or cooking spray.
- Ladle the pancake batter in your desired size onto the griddle.
- Cook until bubbles form on the surface, and then flip the pancakes.
- Continue cooking until the other side is golden brown.
- Transfer cooked pancakes to a serving plate.
- Serve pancakes warm, topped with syrup and your choice of berries, nuts, or other desired toppings. Enjoy!
That was fresh!