You know what just slaps differently? A mouthwatering, scrumptious tuna sandwich. I mean, seriously, there’s just something about that mix of fresh, zesty flavors that gets me all giddy with delight. Call me crazy, but I adore whipping up a mean tuna sandwich for the ones I love – you can’t beat the combo of delish and healthy.
Now, get a load of this – my signature Tuna Sandwich of Wonder starts with only the finest of ingredients. I usually head to my favorite farmers market, chatting with vendors as I handpick the freshest and juiciest veggies – lettuce, tomatoes, and red onions – the Holy Trinity of a great tuna sammie.
Oh, but let’s back it up a little, because even the best veg won’t save us from a bad protein choice. I’m talkin’ premium canned tuna packed in water – contains loads of Omega-3 fatty acids and retains a ton of flavor. Alas, don’t get me started on the mayo – I simply can’t do without my avocado mayo! It’s a fat-swap dream, and its creamy flavor adds a dollop of heaven to the sandwich.
Then comes my pièce de résistance – the bread! Gimme some of that multi-grain goodness. I even like to throw in a few slices of ripe avocado (seriously, can’t get enough) and surprise everyone with a tangy twist – chopped dill pickles. Heck, why not live a little?
Once my all-star lineup is assembled, it’s showtime. Layer the ingredients, tenderly press the sandwich together, and prep for the faces of pure bliss as those zesty taste sensations burst upon the taste buds. I tell ya, there’s no greater feeling than watching someone take their first bite into a beautiful tuna sandwich you’ve just crafted with love. And that, my friends, is how we do sandwich delicacy in this kitchen!
- Start by draining the liquid from the canned tuna and place it into a mixing bowl.
- Finely chop a small-sized red onion, a handful of fresh dill pickles, and half a large ripe avocado.
- Add the finely chopped ingredients to the bowl with the tuna.
- Mix in a generous dollop of avocado mayonnaise (about two tablespoons or to taste) for added creaminess.
- Squeeze half of a fresh lemon over the tuna mixture to give it a zesty kick.
- Sprinkle salt and black pepper over the mixture according to your taste preferences.
- Give everything a thorough stir, making sure all the ingredients are well combined and evenly distributed.
- Slice two fresh pieces of multi-grain bread and toast them lightly for added texture and crunch.
- On one slice of toast, spread a layer of lettuce leaves, followed by a couple of fresh, thin slices of tomato.
- Pile on the tuna mixture, spreading it evenly across the layer of tomatoes.
- Top the tuna with the sliced red onions and avocado.
- Finish the sandwich with another layer of lettuce leaves, pressing it gently onto the tuna salad to hold the pieces together.
- Place the second slice of multi-grain toast on top, completing the sandwich assembly.
- Serve the sandwich with your favorite fresh salad or side dish, and enjoy!
That was fresh!